Thursday, May 20, 2010

Around the UC:






Madden: "If you were to make a mold of the perfect hockey player in terms of how you want him to prepare and how you want him to do things, Johnny is your guy. From everything he puts in his body to how he takes care of himself to how much sleep he's getting to finely tuning his sticks, gloves and his skates -- he's all about winning and playing the best he can possibly play."

Kane: "If he keeps playing this well I'll answer all the questions you guys want to ask. At playoff time, you always see the best performers show up. He's one of those players."

Toews: "You don't get to this point without working hard and playing the right way, playing the team game. I've been lucky that I've been on a streak, which is nice. You can work hard, play well and do so many things right, but when you don't see pucks go in it does hurt your confidence a bit. I have to say things have been working pretty well."

Toews on his nickname Captain Serious: "I like to whine about it. I guess the guys think I'm a serious person and I'm one of the guys they like to pick on a little bit and get under my skin because they get a reaction out of me."

Burish: "Off the ice we pick on him quite a bit. He's easy to mess with."

Burish: "All he can grow is those Wolverine sideburns, but he's like, 'What do you want me to do? I can't do anything about it. We keep going at him and he gets really upset."

Burish: "He'll show up wearing some ugly T-shirt one day and we're like, 'What are you wearing, Johnny? You make all this money, you're the captain of the Chicago Blackhawks, dress a little nicer. He's like, 'Oh, shut up. What do you know about dressing nicer? Look at me, I look good today."

Burish: "When he's playing hockey it's probably the one time when you can't find anything to really rattle him. If he misses a shot or a breakaway he comes back and loses his mind, but everybody does that."



"For the first time under coach Joel Quenneville, the Chicago Blackhawks will stay at a local hotel before they take the ice against the San Jose Sharks for Game 3 of their Western Conference finals on Friday."

Sopel: "Yeah, it's a little change. But it's not anything we're not used to. We just came off the road for two weeks."

Madden: "I've done it my whole career. In New Jersey, we actually stayed the night before and then game day. I think it's a good thing. The guys were up for it, and we wanted it so we're doing it for the afternoon [on Friday]."

Toews: "We just think it's a good thing. We're going to do little things like that. Just to keep our focus and energy where it needs to be."

Coach Q: "I've been on teams that have done both scenarios. We'll try to change it up a little bit, but certainly the focus is on how we play on the ice."



"Q: It's been a long time since you guys played a game in the United Center. What will it like to be back home?

Kane: Usually in the playoffs you don't go on 11- or 12-day road trips, or whatever it was for us. It was a long time to be away from home, but at the same time it was exciting to get back yesterday. You see the excitement in the town, how everyone is looking forward to us doing good things. It's good to be back. We're looking forward to playing in our rink. We have been playing really good on the road, so it would be nice to get this home record up, too."

"Q: When you come home you get amped up, but tomorrow night do you guys try to simplify your game at home?

Kane: That's exactly what you have to do. You have to play it like it's a road game. I think when you play simple it seems like the show comes, to be honest with you. It's one of those things, if you're doing all the little things then all the big plays will happen. When you're on home ice, we're going to get the matchups we want, but we want to play a simplified game and make sure we're doing the right things."

"Q: Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say earlier that this is a must-win situation for you guys?

Kane: I think so. If you give them 2-1, you give them life and they're a really good team over there, so you never know what can happen. For our team, we haven't had the success on home ice that we have had on the road, so it's almost like you have to win back here to get those standards back up. I mean, to define it as a must-win, every game is a must-win in the playoffs to me."



Kane: "You could see that over the last couple years as far as how many sell-outs we've had, the support you get, and how recognisable you are around town."

Toews: "There's been a lot of pressure on us all year. Everyone talks about our team and how special we are, what we're capable of doing.

Kane: "You can really feel it now. We haven't accomplished anything yet obviously but we put ourselves in good shape with two big wins. Right now we're feeling pretty good but you can't get too high because San Jose is a great team, you never know what can happen."



#9 Brent Seabrook

"Has been having a tremendous year. Very quietly has been rising in stock and the past 2 years has become an elite defenceman. A tough/grindy defenceman, that is very tough to get by. Brent Seabrook is emerging as one of the best."

#4 Duncan Keith

"Had the best season of his life this year, and was nominated for the Norris. Duncan Keith has just been a beast on defence.
Not a tough defenceman, but one of the smartest and fastest there is in the game, with amazing offensive upside.
Can be one of the biggest reasons why the Blackhawks can earn themselves a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals."

#3 Patrick Kane

"An absolute magician when he has the puck in the offensive zone. Almost impossible to see the puck when he stick handles. Is able to skate circles in the offensive zone. If Kane skated back the slightest bit and didn't turn over the puck numerously, he would easily be number 1, and possibly the best in the world."

#1 Jonathan Toews

"The definition of a complete hockey player. Jonathan Toews has been the most dominant player in this years NHL Playoffs, and was the most dominant player in the 2010 Olympics. Jonathan Toews does everything, and it doesn't hurt that he's the best faceoff man in the NHL. Absolutely no negatives with Jonathan Toews, and if the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup, it'll be on his shoulders."



Hossa: "It's great we're winning, definitely great, but I don't know if it's going to take the pressure off me. It's not me when I'm not scoring. Obviously I try to play both ends of the ice, but definitely another goal or a couple would be nice to get me going, get me more productive goal-wise."

Sharp: "There's definitely no finger-pointing or pressure on Marian."

Hossa: "I'm not happy with the 2 goals. I feel I don't play badly or anything like that. I feel good in there on the ice. The finishing is not there how I'd like. It's what I have to be more focused on, the finishing when I'm shooting the puck."

Coach Q: "We expect him to produce, but at the same time we like the way he contributes to our team. I still think he's a great threat, a great weapon. I think his productivity is probably waiting to explode."


-Practice Videos:

Sharp


Ladd




No comments:

Post a Comment