Saturday, May 22, 2010

Around the UC:


Coach Q's wife: "Thank God I didn't know him before the mustache. I've seen pictures of Joel younger without it, but as long as I've known him, he's always had it. It scares me if he didn't have it — what if I didn't like it?"

Coach Q's wife: "I went over and introduced myself to Mike Ditka, and later I went back, when I walked by him and said, 'You know, yours really is better. He said, 'Ha, I don't think so.'"

Coach Q: "One thing about coaching: It's all about team, it's not about me. I don't need attention. I don't care about that. It's about the guys. They're the ones that do it, and that's the way I like it. My job is keep the team organized the best we can and maximize every single guy so they're out there playing the best they can play. … Walking to the United Center every day is a unique thing, and I feel fortunate. That's enough for me."



Sharp: "That's good news for me. I'm sure you have heard (Adam) Burish is my roommate. Any time you can get a few hours away from him, it's a good thing."



Toews: "We didn't get here by nothing. We worked hard."

Buff: "Good, hard work always seems to pay off at the end."

Madden: "We don't think about it much, to be honest with you. We come to the rink and try to win hockey games. I know it sounds simple and stupid, but that's the way you've got to approach it. You can't sit back and start thinking about, 'How are we doing this?' Not right now. When this is all over, good or bad, we'll look back at some situations and reminisce on them, or look down on them. So we're going to play hockey and keep things simple."

Sharp: "They say the fourth win in a playoff series is the hardest to get. We expect that to be the case Sunday."



Mikita: “I had no idea I held it until the other day. I didn’t remember doing it, and I certainly didn’t remember what year. If I’d have known it would have lasted this long, I would have gone into management then and asked for a little more money. Maybe I could have gotten an extra $20. I’m happy for Jonathan. Before it’s all over he’s going to have a lot of records around here.”

Mikita: “When they named Jonathan captain here at such a young age, I thought they might be putting him under the gun a little early. But the more you see of him, and listen to him, it’s obvious he’s the right guy. Whenever he talks about the Blackhawks, it’s always ‘we’ or ‘team.’ Jonathan is 21 going on 31, as far as maturity. They call him "Captain Serious," but I’m sure he’s got some smiles put away for when he’s ready."

Mikita: “As a team guy, Toews reminds me a lot of Maggie (Keith Magnuson). Maggie didn’t smile a lot, either, except when he was away from the rink. Maggie was a lot more rah-rah than Jonathan appears to be, and Maggie got the absolute most out of his ability. Think of it. Toews has just signed a long-term deal at his age to be with a franchise that’s growing and winning. He could be captain here for a long time. The only thing that could spoil it is an injury. You don’t have to worry about his character. He could have signed for $50 million and it wouldn’t change his attitude or his effort. Somebody coached him real well, starting right with his parents.”

Mikita: “I’m really enjoying this. This organization has been great to us old guys, and it’s in good shape with young guys like Jonathan. Lots of pressure on a team captain, especially these days. But this kid can handle it. Now if you’ll excuse me, Jill is waiting in the car.”



Marc-Edouard Vlasic: "Goose bumps. Even if it's in Chicago, I can feed off the energy. As soon as the guy starts, I'm waiting for it. I know it's coming."

McLellan: "You know, certainly the energy in the building and the anthem help the Blackhawks. You feel some shivers on the bench when you're the opposition. It can get you going, too. There are some rinks you go to in the league where you've got to find a way to poke yourself to get yourself going. This isn't one of them."



Sharp: “We look at the series against San Jose, each game could go either way. We know we are fortunate to be up 3-0. We know we have to play our best game to close them out."

Keith: “I think all the games have been close. I know we were able to get the two wins in San Jose and they were two big wins. I thought Antti [Niemi] played great in those games and made a lot of huge saves. Sometimes when your goaltender is making those big saves, making the kind of plays that he is at critical times in the game, it really changes the whole dynamic of the game.”

Keith: “I think you can use that as motivation. That's what we're playing for. We're all playing here for the Stanley Cup. You know, we're one win away from getting a chance to play for it.”



Niemi: "I like watching tapes of what I do wrong than the saves I made. There's luck to those saves, it feels good to see those on TV and they have surprised me a little for sure, but it comes with hard work too."

Niemi: "The biggest thing is I feel comfortable now and confident. I think it's pretty easy to play right now."



Keith: “Some of the veterans, I remember looking at their faces and they were pretty depressed. You look at things now and realize why.”

Madden: “I remember about four years ago I came in here with Jersey and we were in town for a few days, so we saw the city and the restaurants and the lifestyle and we were like, ‘Wow, what a city. And then we come to the game and the place was half empty and we were like ‘Wow, this is sad.’ I couldn’t believe it. This had always been such a great franchise. My dad always told me this was my grandfather's team. He lived in Toronto, but he loved the Blackhawks. It’s good to see that (passion) back in the city.”

Seabrook: “Duncan and myself came up together and Sharpie was shortly after, and any one of us will tell you it’s changed tremendously, it’s been unbelievable. The guys in the room have been great, a good group of character and leadership. They’ve found people with the same personalities and we’ve all clicked really well and become great friends off the ice.”

Sharp: “I remember my first game — 9,000 people here and they announced 12,000. Times have changed, big time. A lot of new faces in the room, but there’s a few guys that have witnessed it. We remember what it was like, and that’s why we’re pushing even harder to keep it like this.”

Seabrook: “It’s pretty crazy, but it’s been a lot of fun. Seeing how things have changed in the last couple of years, being able to play in front of a packed house compared to playing with half a building is definitely different. Once they get roaring it’s pretty special, it’s like no other experience in the NHL.”



"Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook, who watched the game from suite, got a nice applause when he appeared on the Jumbotron in the sixth inning. The Blackhawks are one win away from clinching a berth to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time since 1992."



"No. 1 Star: Dustin Byfuglien, Chicago Blackhawks

Big Buff scored the game-winning goal at 12:24 of overtime to give the Blackhawks a 3-2 win in Game 3, taking a 3-0 lead over the San Jose Sharks in the Western Conference Final. Dave Bolland controlled the puck behind the Sharks net, sending a pass to a cutting, unchecked Byfuglien in the slot, who roofed it over Evgeni Nabokov(notes) for his seventh of the postseason."

"No. 3 Star: Antti Niemi(notes), Chicago Blackhawks

Niemi (44 saves) stopped 17 of 18 shots in the third period and played a big role in the Sharks going 1-for-6 on the power play with 10 shorthanded saves."


-Off-Day Videos:

Toews:

Coach Q

Keith













No comments:

Post a Comment